Turkey Fajitas with Homemade Salsa Fresca
Author: Lunches and Littles
- WHAT YOU NEED (for Fajitas):
- the zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice + more as needed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce (sauce only from canned chipotles in adobo)
- ¼ cup olive oil (plus more as needed)
- 5 garlic cloves (divided and minced)
- approx. 1 lb leftover turkey meat
- 2 tbsp butter (divided)
- 1 red onion (halved/ thin sliced)
- 1 package of Village Farms Cheeky Sweet® Mini Sweet Peppers
- 2 serrano chiles (halved, seeded and chopped small)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped), and romaine lettuce
- flour or corn tortillas
- WHAT YOU NEED (for Salsa Fresca*):
- ¼- 1/2 red onion (minced)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar, approx.
- 1 lb Village Farms maverick mix tomatoes (chopped)
- 1-2 serrano chiles (seeded, and fine chopped or minced)
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh-squeezed lime juice
- HOW YOU MAKE IT (Salsa Fresca):
- Place diced onion in a bowl and cover completely with cold water. Add in vinegar, and set aside for 10 min. or longer.
- Drain. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Next, in a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Then, stir in onions.
- Allows mixture to stand at room temperature for at least 30 min. Now, make your fajitas (see below)!.
- HOW YOU MAKE THEM (Fajitas):
- In a small bowl, combine lime zest and fresh squeezed lime juice, salt, chili powder, adobo sauce, ¼ cup only olive oil and 3 cloves only garlic. Mix well. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the marinade for later.
- Next, place leftover turkey in a resealable bag. Pour in the marinade and seal bag. Move turkey around to coat well. Then place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- While turkey marinates, make Salsa Freca (see below). Set aside.
- Then, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Once hot, add onion slices and cook. Stirring until softened.
- Next, stir in mini sweet pepper slices and chopped chiles, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until peppers begin to softened.
- Then, add in remaining garlic cloves, cumin, a few pinches of salt and 1 tbsp butter. Cook, stirring often, until peppers are also softened and beginning to caramelize, approx. 6-8 min.
- Pour in reserved marinade and add in about half of the cilantro and stir. Once well combined, remove from heat.
- Heat a few drizzles of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Remove turkey from marinade and add to pan (with marinade) with 1 tbsp butter. Cook until heated through and fully coated with marinade. If turkey meat is too dry, add in a drizzle of olive oil, or ¼- 1/2 lime, squeezed.
- While turkey reheats, warm up tortillas as desired.
- Next, begin to plate tortillas. Pile lettuce, turkey, pepper mixture, and salsa as desired and enjoy!
Recipe and photography created exclusively for Village Farms by Lunches + Littles
Read- Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Deliciously Transformed