5 Step Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2lb Sensational Sara tomatoes (remove vine & stems then rinse)
- 3 tbsp. oil olive
- 2 tsp flake or kosher salt
- 1 bulb garlic (about 6 peeled cloves)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 bunch basil (chopped)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1.5 cups heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Place whole tomatoes in roasting pan calyx side down. Sprinkle with 2tlbs olive oil and salt. Place in oven on broil at 500 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until browned on top and tomatoes split open. At halfway point throw garlic cloves on top. Then remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 mins.
- While tomatoes are in the oven, caramelize onions in skillet on stovetop with remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In blender or food processor place roasted tomatoes and garlic add caramelized onion. Add half of chopped basil and all of broth then blend on high for 2 mins.
- Heat butter in heavy bottom saucepan on stove top. Pour tomato mixture in saucepan on med heat until simmer then reduce heat to low. Add heavy cream and stir.. Salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for 10 mins while stirring frequently.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with remaining basil. Add crushed red pepper to taste. A nice side would be to serve with crusty bread, and cheese of choice.
Note: Make recipe vegan by replacing heavy cream with coconut milk, chicken stock with veggie stock and regular butter with vegan butter.Print