chunky heavenly san marzano sauce
Author: Chef D. Brown
Yields: 2 liters
- 2 lb Village Farms heavenly villagio marzano® tomatoes
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dry oregano
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- Dice the onion to a small (1/2") dice.
- Chop all of the mini san marzano tomatoes into 3–4 coins by cutting them on the cross section.
- Warm up the olive oil in a sauté pan, add onion and cook until translucent, then add in ⅔ of the chopped mini san marzano tomatoes.
- Simmer on medium heat, just the slightest boil, for 30–40 minutes.
- Blend directly in the pan with a stick blender until broken down but not smooth (or transfer to food processor/blender to purée, then return to pan).
- Add the remaining raw chopped mini san marzano tomatoes to the sauce and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Taste and re-season with salt and pepper, if needed.