Sweet & Spicy Roasted Heavenly Villagio Marzano® Salsa
Author: Lunches and Littles
- 1 pound heavenly villagio marzano® tomatoes
- 1 – 1 and ½ tbsp olive oil*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- ½ a yellow onion
- ¼ cup (more or less as desired) fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ tbsp honey
- *You will also need salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place tomatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil (*as much is needed to coat), and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. *Prior to drizzling you can cut a slit down the side of
- each tomato if desired. This is optional, and I did not do it this time but have done it in the past. Later you will be removing the skins from the tomatoes and so cutting into them prior to
- roasting can help with the removal.
- Spread tomatoes in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast tomatoes in
pre-heatedoven for approximately 30 minutes.
- While tomatoes are roasting, prepare the remainder of your ingredients: peel garlic cloves,
diceonion, rough chop cilantro and juice one lime. Set all aside.
- During the last 15 minutes of roasting, place prepared cloves on tray with tomatoes.
- Once done, remove tomatoes and garlic from oven and let cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- While tomatoes/garlic are cooling, cut your jalapeno pepper in half, remove seeds and place halves skin side up on a small pan. Broil pepper for just a few minutes until skin is charred.
- Then remove from broiler, let cool and then chop. Set aside. *You
ofcourse, can completely omit this step if you do not watthe heat that comes from the pepper. However, I think it adds
- just enough to give a little kick that isn’t too overwhelming for the younger ones!
- Once tomatoes are cooled, slip the skins off the tomatoes as much as possible. It’s okay for some skin to stay on but try and remove as much as possible. Once skins are removed,
- use a sharp knife to dice tomatoes as chunky as you desire for your salsa. Also, mince garlic. Set both aside.
- Next, in a small serving bowl combine tomatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Add honey if desired. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favorite chips and enjoy!